An Indian mound near Wagoner known as the "Norman Site" has supplied evidence of people inhabiting the area from a very early time. Excavation uncovered relics dating to about 600 A.D.
During the civil war Union and Confederate troops were stationed in the area and fought in a skirmish on September 15, 1864 just north of the city. After the war, herds of cattle were driven north from Texas through the heart of the area on their way to markets in Kansas and Missouri. In 1871, the Missouri-Kansas and Texas Railroad built tracks from Kansas to south of Wagoner shorting the distance of the cattle drives. About 12 year late, Henry Samuel "Bigfoot" Wagoner, who was with the Katy Railroad out of Parsons, Kansas decided a switch was needed to load cattle and lumber from the area. When the switch was completed, a Katy road master telegraphed company officials "Wagoner's switch is ready".
Population grew, and on February 25, 1888 the town's request for a post office was granted. Cattlemen, hay dealers, business and professional men settled in the city and built some beautiful homes many of which still stand today. In April 1908 the town, known as "The Queen of the Prairie", incorporated as the City of Wagoner.
In 1905 a third railroad, the Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf was built through the area and a short time later as many as 14 passenger trains a day served the town's 5,000 residence and surrounding area.
Over the years Wagoner has continued to grow and prosper and is known as "great place to do business". During the Holidays the city becomes alive with beautiful lights and a series of musical programs. The shows offer first class entertainment.
With the combination of easy access to metro and suburban areas, varied recreational activities, low cost of living and a school system that strives for academic excellence we are a great place to live and work. We are proud of our past and confident in our future.