Prevention and Training
The Wagoner fire Department offers safety education programs consisting of fire prevention, fire safety and inspections for home and business, fire extinguisher training and station tours.
If you would like to schedule one these give us a call at (918) 485-8082.
The Wagoner Fire Department currently offers a free smoke alarm to anyone that resides within our response area. If you need a smoke alarm call the Fire Department at 485-8082. Once your contact information is attained, we will set a convenient time for you and fire department personnel will respond and install a smoke detector in your home.
Do not unplug or disable your alarm simply because it keeps going off. These problems is often easily fixed by moving your alarm or changing your alarm type if you need assistance with this, call the Wagoner Fire Department at (918) 485-8082.
Remember to change your detector battery when you change your clock. Some newer alarms have a special battery that you don't have to change. Instead you replace the detector itself. Smoke alarms can become dusty or otherwise malfunction over time. Your average smoke alarm should be changed every 3-5 years. (Per manufactures recommendations.) Install smoke alarms on every level of the building, including the basement. The alarm can be placed on the ceiling or on the wall; however, it is recommended that it be placed on the ceiling. The alarm should be no less than 6 inches from the corner.
Smoke Alarm Service Form
Carbon Monoxide Questions
What is carbon monoxide (CO) and how is it produced? Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas. Products and equipment powered by internal combustion engines such as portable generators, cars, lawn mowers, and power washers also produce CO. The Wagoner Fire Department as the equipment to test for Carbon monoxide.
How many people are unintentionally poisoned by CO? On average, about 170 people in the United States die every year from CO produced by non-automotive consumer products. These products include malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters and room heaters; engine-powered equipment such as portable generators; fireplaces; and charcoal that is burned in homes and other enclosed areas. In 2005 alone, CPSC staff is aware of at least 94 generator-related CO poisoning deaths. Forty-seven of these deaths were known to have occurred during power outages due to severe weather, including Hurricane Katrina. Still others die from CO produced by non-consumer products, such as cars left running in attached garages. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that several thousand people go to hospital emergency rooms every year to be treated for CO poisoning.
What are the symptoms of CO poisoning? Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever). They include:
- Shortness of breath
High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including:
- Mental confusion
- Loss of muscular coordination
- Loss of consciousness
- Ultimately death
If you feel you’ve been poisoned by Carbon monoxide call 911.
It doesn't take much for a small grass fire to turn into an out-of-control wildfire and fire safety knowledge is where prevention can start. Most grass fires are caused by careless human factors (burning garbage, welding or using a cutting torch, improperly extinguishing fireplace, wood stove or camp fire ashes), but others are caused by things that seem unlikely, such as a lawnmower blade hitting a rock or an electric fence zapping a metal post. We all know the slightest breeze will fuel a small grass fire, into an out-of-control large one, in no time and time is crucial in preventing the spread of the fire.
In all cases if something were to happen and a grass fire was to start, the best course of action is to be prepared, know your escape routes and keep them maintained, know the emergency numbers for the fire department that covers your area.
Here is a basic list of things to assist you in preventing grass fires:
- Do not throw cigarettes or cigar butts onto the ground or out of a vehicle
- Do not burn trashes, leaves, or brush without proper supervision, notify your local fire department before starting the fire.
- Create a "safety zone" around your home and storage buildings, do not store firewood next to structures, keep the grass cut short and clear away loose grass, leaves, etc... (General 30 feet)
- Get rid of dead branches, leaves, brush and tree limbs that hang over your home.
- Avoid burning on windy, dry days. When conditions are windy or dry, it is too easy for open burning to spread out of control.
- Maintain a 10 foot "safety zone" around grills and propane tanks.
- Do not leave grills unattended, and when finished using them, place ashes in a bucket and soak with water until completely cooled, stir ashes with a poker to ensure that all are extinguished.
- Stress to children the importance of not playing with fire.
911 and Cell Phones
We all heard the stories about people using their cell phone to call 911 and having trouble getting emergency services to respond. so here’s a little information that can help solve some of the problem. When you dial 911 from a cell phone there’s no guarantee that it’s going to the dispatch center in that area, so there’s one thing all of us can do to help guarantee that the right emergency services are notified.
When you dial 911 first ask is this the 911 center (let’s say for the) City of Wagoner. If they say yes, continue and give the information pertaining to the emergency you’re having. If they say no, reply I need 911 for City of Wagoner Oklahoma once you have been connected to the proper 911 center Give as much of the address as you can, let’s use the fire department address 807 W. Cherokee St., Wagoner, OK 74467. These added seconds can assure the proper emergency services are notified and even reduce the response time.